The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Brussels is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.
How to Apply for a Visa for Foreign Government Employee at U.S. Embassy Brussels
The following documents are required for official/diplomatic travel to the U.S. under the following visa classifications: A-1, A-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, C-3, and NATO.
- A valid passport + previous passports containing valid official/diplomatic U.S. visas
- A printed confirmation page of the visa application form DS-160: Please download form DS-160, complete it online and print the confirmation page. Please make sure that the confirmation page shows a bar code.
- A full-face color photograph on a white background, 5 x 5 cm, taken within the last 6 months. Attention: As of November 1, 2016, only photographs without glasses are accepted.
- A Diplomatic Note (Note Verbale) from the government/agency. The Diplomatic Note should include the following information concerning the principal applicant:
- (1) Name and date of birth,
- (2) Position and title,
- (3) Place of assignment or visit,
- (4) Purpose of travel,
- (5) Brief description of duties,
- (6) Travel date,
- (7) Anticipated length of stay or tour of duty in the United States,
- (8) The names, relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents and other members of household who will be accompanying or joining the principal.
The Consular Officer will determine the appropriate visa classification.
Applicants for A, G, C-3 and NATO visas do not need to appear in person. Applications can be submitted at the Consular Section, Monday through Friday (except for Belgian and U.S. Holidays) between 11:00 and 12:00 a.m ONLY. An appointment is not required. You will be given a pick-up ticket, showing the date as of which the passport containing the visa will be ready for pick-up. Pick-up hours are shown on the pick-up ticket. Due to biometric processing, same-day issuance of visas is not possible. Visa processing and printing takes at least two to three business days. Some applicants may be subject to clearance procedures that will require additional processing time. ATTENTION: Holders of diplomatic passports must bring their diplomatic ID for admission.
Tourist/Business Visas for Diplomatic Passport holders (Diplomatic Type Visas): Diplomats and their dependents, as well as employees of governments or officially recognized international organizations, who want to visit the U.S. in a nonofficial capacity (e.g. as tourists or to conduct private business) who cannot travel under the Visa Waiver Program, must apply for B visas in person. No application fee is charged to bearers of diplomatic passports who qualify for “diplomatic type” visas.
The following documents are required to apply for a B visa:
- Valid passport
- Printed confirmation page of the visa application form DS-160: Please downloadform DS-160, complete it online and print the confirmation page. Please make sure that the confirmation page shows a bar code.
- A full-face color photograph on a white background, 5 x 5 cm, taken within the last 6 months
Applicants for diplomatic type B visas, age 14 and above are subject to the interview and fingerprinting requirements and therefore must come in person to the Consular Section to submit their visa applications Monday through Friday (except for Belgian and U.S. Holidays) between 10:00 and 11:00 a.m. No appointment necessary.
For additional questions on official/diplomatic visas ONLY, please e-mail: Brusselsofficialvisa@state.gov
Access and Security Notice
- Do not bring any electronic devices, luggage, back packs, or bags of any kind to the interview. You will not be allowed to enter with them and there is no place to store them.
- Only applicants with interview appointments can enter – friends, family, lawyers, etc. will not be allowed in.
- Allow several hours for the interview process
Visiting the Embassy or Consulate
The Embassy is located at Bd du Regentlaan 25 in Brussels, Belgium. The nearest metro station is Kunst-Wet / Arts-Loi.