Visa Services  For Ukrainian Citizens in Belgium

It is important to note that a visa is not a viable way to achieve refugee resettlement in the United States. Please read this information from the Department of State for Nationals of Ukraine including information about Humanitarian Parole and Refugee Status.


If you are a  U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident with a Ukrainian relative  seeking to travel to the United States on an immigrant visa:  

  • The designated processing post for all Ukrainian Immigrant (IV), Diversity Lottery-2022 (DV), and K-1 (fiancé/e) visas is the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt, Germany.  All Ukrainian IV, DV, and K cases are urgent.  Frankfurt is processing all Ukrainian cases on a first-in, first-out basis and is not granting individual expedite requests at this time, except in cases such as those where the applicant has an immediate life-threatening medical condition that can be treated only in the United States.
  • If your immigrant visa case was already transferred from NVC to Kyiv for the appointment and processing, it will automatically be transferred to Frankfurt.
  • If you have an I-130 petition approved by USCIS pending processing at the National Visa Center (NVC) and want to transfer it to another U.S. embassy or consulate, you may request expedition and transfer from the National Visa Center: .  U.S. Embassy Brussels will accept Ukrainian IV, DV, and K transfers when there is a direct connection to Belgium – for example, the beneficiary is currently staying with a relative in Belgium.
  • If you have not yet filed a petition but wish to do so, you may contact U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt at to request local filing in Frankfurt.  Please note that Frankfurt is only accepting I-130 petitions filed by U.S. citizens on behalf of their spouse, child(ren) (under age 21) or parent(s).  Both the petitioner and the applicant(s) must be physically present in Germany.
  • Alternatively, if both the petitioner and the applicant(s) are physically present in Belgium, you can request local filing at U.S. Embassy Brussels at

If you are a U.S. citizen with a Ukrainian fiancée/fiancé seeking to travel to the United States on a K1 visa:   

You must have an approved I-129F from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before applying for a K-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.  If you filed an I-129F petition with USCIS that has not yet been approved, you can request an expedite for USCIS processing at .  U.S. consulates and embassies are not authorized to accept locally filed I-129F petitions.


There are no nonimmigrant visas specific to those who have fled the armed invasion of Ukraine and are seeking to travel to the United States temporarily.   

Before applying for a nonimmigrant visa, you should consider carefully whether you qualify for the visa for which you intend to apply.  Most nonimmigrant visas are for short-term temporary stays in the United States and to qualify, you must show that you have strong ties to your home country and a residence abroad that you do not intend to abandon.  Information about how to apply for a nonimmigrant visa at U.S. Embassy Brussels, including how to request an expedited appointment, can be found at

For information on seeking protected status in Belgium, please visit