Minor Passports

By Appointment Only (click here to schedule an appointment)

(a separate appointment per applicant and per service is required).

All minor passport applicants under age 16 must appear in person at the U.S. Embassy when applying for a passport. Parents or guardians alone can no longer apply for a passport on behalf of a child without the child present. Also, the policy change of July 1, 2001, remains in effect that both parents must accompany the minor child to execute the application.

Minors age 16 and over continue to be able to sign the passport application on their own behalf and also must appear in person at the Embassy even if they are renewing a valid passport. It is not necessary for a parent or guardian to accompany minors age 16 and over.

The Department of State has instituted the requirement of personal appearance of all minors applying for passports in order to enhance the accurate identification of passport applicants and aid in the prevention of international child abduction and trafficking. This requirement applies to all regular, official, and diplomatic passports for children under the age of 16, even if the child has previously been issued a passport. Prior to the introduction of this requirement, parents were not routinely required to bring a child under the age of 16 with them when they applied on the child’s behalf. Now, when applying for a passport on behalf of a minor under the age of 16, parents are required to have their child present and submit documentation of parental relationship and consent, as well as comply with all other documentation requirements for the issuance of a passport.


1) To process your application expeditiously, please complete and print the online bar-coded Form DS-11 (use Form Filler) including the social security number (SSN).  Do not sign the form.

2) Present proof of U.S. citizenship

  1. U.S. birth certificate, or
  2. Previous five-year U.S. passport, or
  3. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240), or
  4. Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350), or
  5. Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization.

3) Submit Evidence of Child’s Relationship to Parents/Guardians

  1. Certified U.S. birth certificate (with parents’ names); or
  2. Foreign birth certificate (with parents’ names and translations, if necessary); or
  3. Report of Birth Abroad (with parents’ names); or
  4. Certification of Birth Abroad (with parents’ names)
  5. Adoption Decree (with adopting parents’ names); or
  6. Court Order establishing custody or guardianship.

4) Each parent or guardian must submit proof of identity

  1. Passport or
  2. Driver’s license

5) Submit Parental Application Permission Documentation

  1. Both parents must appear together with the child under age 16 and sign; or
  2. One parent appears with the child under age 16, signs, and submits second parent’s notarized written statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child + a copy of the absent parent’s ID: Note that this statement of consent from the non-applying parent must be notarized together with the absent parent’s ID. The statement must indicate that parent´s unequivocal consent to support issuance. Statements notarized by foreign (i.e. non-U.S.) officials will be accepted but must be in English. Parents may use form DS-3053 (PDF 44 KB) or DS-5525 (PDF 44 KB) or an affidavit of their own; or
  3. One parent appears with the child under age 16, signs, and submits evidence of sole custody authority.Child’s U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only applying parent; or Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
    Certification of Birth Abroad, listing only applying parent; or
    Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent; or
    Adoption decree listing sole adopting parent; or
  4. Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child; or
  5. Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  6. Death certificate of non-applying parent.

6) Bring one recent 5×5 cm passport size photo (see photo requirements and list of specialized photographers). Attention: for technical reasons no self-printed passport pictures can be accepted by the consulate! Full requirements for the picture are as follows:

  1. One unsigned photograph taken within the last six months. NO GLASSES!
  2. 2×2 inch.(5×5 cm) square, with the image measured from chin to forehead not less than 1″ or more than 1-3/8″.
  3. Photo should not be cut.
  4. Color photos only will be taken in consideration; not tinted, with a light background.

7) Fee: $115 or Euro 109. Cash ($ or €) and credit cards are accepted. Visa and Master card holders are requested to obtain the authorization from their bank to enable payments in the U.S.

The passport will be mailed to you by regular mail free of charge.   Please be aware that these envelopes cannot be traced.

If you prefer to have your passport returned to you via registered mail, please provide us with a stamp for registered mail AND three stamps for regular mail at the time of your application.

The Embassy declines any responsibility for the delivery of passports by mail.

You also have the option to pick-up the passport in person from the Consular Section during our public hours.

We strongly encourage both parents to appear at the Embassy whenever possible. The two-parent consent rule has been strengthened as a means of preventing international child abduction.