Emergency Passports

Imminent Departure — If You Need a Passport on Short Notice

If you need a passport within the next two weeks, e.g. because you have an emergency situation, your application will require a personal appearance.

Please bring the following with you:

  1. Either the DS-82 passport application form (if you have an undamaged, full validity, 10 year passport issued within the last 15 years) OR a DS-11 passport application form (for all others) – see also our section on children’s passports for additional requirements for children;
  2. Your old passport – click here if your passport was lost or stolen;
  3. One U.S. format (2″x2″ /5cm.x5cm.) color photo (see photo requirements and list of specialized photographers). Belgian format photos cannot be processed!
  4. The appropriate Passport Services fee must be paid in cash, euro or dollars, or by credit card;
  5. To help us determine whether you meet the requirements for an expedited appointment outside of our regular appointment hours, your request must include proof of your emergency.   This proof can be; proof of a life-or-death emergency in the United States, such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional.  Documents must be in English, translated if necessary; proof of other unexptected family circumstances in the United States (e.g. a marriage invitation); proof of imminent international travel (e.g. itinerary/e-ticket with an earlier booking date).

An expired passport by itself is not considered an emergency by the U.S. Department of State, nor is running out of blank visa pages.  It is best to renew a passport eight (8) months before it expires or when you have less than three (3) blank pages left.