Citizenship Services

The Office of American Services Passport/Citizenship Unit:

  • Adjudicates citizenship claims;
  • Issues first time passports;
  • Renews expired passports;
  • Amends passports to show change of name; validity, or to correct errors;
  • Replaces lost/stolen/mutilated passports;
  • Registers births of American children born in Belgium;
  • Notary Services;
  • Social Security number applications;
  • Selective Service Registration: American citizen males between the ages of 18-25 must register for Selective Service. Register on-line at
What Service Do You Require?

In addition to the naturalization process, the United States recognizes the U.S. citizenship of individuals according to two fundamental principles: jus soli, or right of birthplace, and jus sanguinis, or right of blood.

The 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees citizenship at birth to almost all individuals born in the United States or in U.S. jurisdictions, according to the principle of jus soli. Certain individuals born in the United States, such as children of foreign heads of state or children of foreign diplomats, do not obtain U.S. citizenship under jus soli.

Certain individuals born outside of the United States are born citizens because of their parents, according to the principle of jus sanguinis, which holds that the country of citizenship of a child is the same as that of his/her parents. The U.S. Congress is responsible for enacting laws that determine how citizenship is conveyed by a U.S. citizen parent or parents according to the principle of jus sanguinis. These laws are contained in the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Naturalization of children who regularly reside outside the United States (Form N-600K)

Certain children who regularly reside outside the U.S. may be eligible for citizenship under Section 322 of the INA. Form N-600K may be filed by:

  • A US citizen parent seeking citizenship on behalf of a minor adopted or biological child under section 322 of the INA (providing for citizenship through an application process for biological and adopted children who regularly reside outside of the U.S. and meet certain conditions while under age 18), or
  • If a U.S. citizen parent of a child who otherwise meets the eligibility requirements of INA 322 has died, a U.S. citizen grandparent or a U.S. legal guardian can file the application at any time within five years of the U.S. citizen parent’s death.
  • If the child’s citizen parent has not lived in the United States for at least 5 years, 2 of which were after that parent’s 14th birthday, the citizen parent currently has a parent (child’s grandparent) who:
  • Is also a U.S. citizen, and
  • Lived in the United States for 5 years, at least 2 of which were after the citizen grandparent’s 14th birthday and,
  • May be living or deceased at the time of the adjudication of the application and the taking of the Oath.
  • There are further requirements for eligibility; see the N-600K Form for more information.

Form N-600K must be filed with one of the USCIS offices in the United States.


For more information, please see the USCIS website page on “Citizenship of Children“.

In addition, the U.S. Department of State’s web pages on “Citizenship and Nationality” also provide detailed information on the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Loss of Nationality

There are two kinds of Loss of Nationality cases: renunciation and relinquishment. U.S. citizens considering renouncing or relinquishing their U.S. nationality should carefully review and understand the consequences and ramifications of doing so.

Once loss of U.S. nationality occurs, expatriates will no longer receive U.S. consular support abroad and will be subject to current visa requirements for future travel to the United States. Additionally, the act of renouncing or relinquishing U.S. citizenship will not allow persons to avoid repayment of financial obligations previously incurred in the United States or incurred as United States citizens abroad, i.e. U.S. taxes.

Under 8 U.S.C. 1182, “any alien who is a former citizen of the United States who officially renounces United States citizenship and who is determined by the Attorney General to have renounced United States citizenship for the purpose of avoiding taxation” is inadmissible to the United States, that is ineligible for entry to the United States.

The U.S. Internal Revenue Service provides tax forms and instructions for expatriates’ filing purposes.

Determination of Renunciation or Relinquishment by U.S. Citizen

U.S. citizens who, after carefully reviewing the aforementioned website links, decide to give up U.S. nationality are required to have two mandatory interviews with a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer. During the initial interview, individuals should provide:

  1. Original evidence of U.S. nationality (e.g. U.S. Naturalization Certificate, Consular Report of Birth of an American Citizen Abroad, or the most recently issued U.S. passport regardless of the passport’s expiration date);
  2. Original evidence of foreign nationality (e.g. foreign passport, certificate of naturalization of the foreign state, foreign birth certificate)

The diplomatic or consular officer will provide information and relevant forms to citizens and discuss the ramifications and consequences of giving up U.S. nationality. U.S. citizenship documents will be retained until approval or denial of loss of nationality is received from the U.S. Department of State. Foreign citizenship documents will be returned after the initial interview.

A time to reflect of at least two weeks is afforded to all citizens after the first interview. This time allows citizens to carefully review and ponder the information provided during the interview and decide whether to continue pursuing loss of nationality. A second interview with a diplomatic or consular officer must be attended by all who choose to continue the renunciation process.

At the second interview, the diplomatic or consular officer will administer the oaths and witness citizens’ signatures to the pertinent forms.

Final Determination of Loss of Nationality

Following the second interview, cases are forwarded to the U.S. Department of State for review and approval which may take several months. Only after the Department of State approves loss of nationality is a case considered complete. Upon receipt of the U.S. Department of State’s determination, the U.S. Consulate General will mail the determination, together with the evidence of U.S. nationality to the address provided by the expatriate.

Note: In cases where loss of U.S. nationality is approved, U.S. citizenship documentation will be canceled or annotated to reflect loss of U.S. nationality before being returned to expatriates. Certificates of U.S. Naturalization will not be returned, but forwarded to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service.


U.S. citizens who have carefully reviewed and understand the information provided above, should make an online appointment under “notary services”. Click here to schedule your appointment.

A fee of $ 2,350 or € 2,233 for renouncing or relinquishing U.S. nationality is payable during the final interview.

Affordable Care Act

Renunciation and Relinquishment

  • The subsequent information explains the difference between renunciation and relinquishment of U.S. nationality.

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship

Renunciation is the voluntary act of formally renouncing U.S. nationality before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States of America. This act must take place outside the U.S.

Section 349 (a)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act presents an overview of the act of renunciation, and provides important information that U.S. citizens should consider prior to performing the act.

Relinquishment of U.S. Citizenship


Relinquishment of U.S. nationality occurs if one or more potentially expatriating act(s) is voluntarily performed with the intent of giving up U.S. nationality.

A fee of $2,350 for relinquishing U.S. nationality is payable during the second visit.

Please refer to Section 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act for advice regarding the possible loss of U.S. citizenship.

Further information on Renunciation and Relinquishment of U.S. nationality is available at the following links: