Report Birth Abroad

Schedule your Online Appointment now (a separate appointment per applicant and per service is required)

Within a week after scheduling your appointment, you will receive an email with all instructions and application forms for the registration of your child.

Children born abroad to American citizen parents are entitled to be documented as American citizens if the citizen parent meets certain transmission requirements laid out in the Immigration and Nationality Act. The following information will assist you in determining whether or not you are able to transmit citizenship to your child and will assist you in completing the necessary steps to register your child’s birth and obtain a U.S. passport.

If your child has a potential claim to U.S. citizenship, it will be necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to execute an application for a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad” before a consular officer. Both parents must accompany the child to the Consular Section of the US Embassy. You may also apply for your child’s first passport and social security card when you report your child’s birth.

Processing of citizenship claims is done by online appointment only. Applicants should plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to their scheduled appointment.

Please remember to bring all required documentation and completely filled-out forms, (described below), with you to your appointment. Missing documentation may result in delays in processing your case.

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your child, you need:

Completed printed Form DS-2029 (PDF 64 KB)
Application for Consular Report of Birth
The Child’s Birth Certificate This is the Belgian Birth Certificate, issued by local authorities. This document must show the biological parents’ names. Short form birth certificates, which do not indicate parentage, are not acceptable. If the Birth Certificate is not in English, an informal translation must be included. (you can translate the documents yourself on a separate sheet of paper).
Photo ID of the child, if applicable This is not necessary for newborns
Evidence of Parents’ Citizenship and Identity Acceptable documents include:

  • U.S. Passport.
  • Original or Certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate (usually bearing a raised seal).
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
If both parents are U.S. citizens: evidence of one Parent’s residence in the U.S.  Examples of documents that can help demonstrate a residence include, but are not limited to, a combination of some of the following: property rental leases and payment receipts, deeds, utility bills, property tax records, automobile registrations, professional licenses, employment records or information, income tax records, stamped school transcripts, military records, income records, including W-2 salary forms, and vaccination and medical records.
Marriage Certificate, if applicable Original certificate issued by local, state, or national government authorities.  If your marriage certificate is in a language other than English, an informal translation must be provided.
Divorce Decrees/ Death Certificates, if applicable It will be necessary to show termination of all prior marriages for both parents. Please bring original certificates with informal translations, if appropriate.
If the child is born out of wedlock and the father is a U.S. citizen and is listed on the birth certificate, evidence of acknowledgement of paternity by the U.S. citizen father and agreement to pay child support. As evidence, bring a notarized Affidavit of Parentage and Physical Presence (see attached document) or a U.S. court order regarding child support payment.
If only one parent is a U.S. citizen bring primary evidence documents that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. before the child’s birth (for a total of 5 years; 2 of which after the age of 14) Acceptable documents include:

  • DD214 Separation Statement (Military Members only)
  • Transcripts from High School and/or College
  • Wage Statements
Secondary evidence documents that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. before the child’s birth. This evidence is necessary if only one parent is a U.S. citizen and insufficient primary evidence is submitted. Acceptable documents include:
Former/Current Passport with stamps
Airline ticket stubs
Credit Card Bills
Utility bills
Tax forms
Notarized Affidavits from former/current employers
$100.00 U.S. Application Fee Accepted Payment Methods are:
Cash: either dollars or euros
Credit card- Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Diners Club
International Money Order to the exact dollar amount made payable to the “U.S. Embassy Brussels.”

To Apply for Your Child’s First Passport, you will need:

  1.  Completed printed online DS-11 Form Form Filler)
  2. Any foreign passport that the child may currently hold;
  3. One color passport photograph, measuring 2” x 2”or 5 cm x 5 cm (not a Belgian standard size). Subject must be facing front, on a white background. The face must be clearly visible;
  4. If one parent is unable to accompany the child and second parent to the Consulate for the appointment, a notarized, original Statement of Consent by the absent parent is required +  a copy of the absent parent’s ID : DS-3053 .
  5. $115 U.S. application fee for children under 16 or
  6. $145 U.S. application fee for children over 16.

Cash ($ and €) and credit cards are accepted. Visa and Master card holders are requested to obtain the authorization from their bank to enable payments in the U.S.

Unless you decide to pick-up the documents, they will be mailed to you by regular mail. Please be aware that normal mail is not traceable.

To have your CRBA and passport returned to you by registered mail, please bring a large self-addressed large A4 envelope (300mm x 230mm).  Only regular stamps will be accepted.  Please stick the stamps on the envelope.  One stamp for registered mail + three stamps for normal mail (weight is over 100 grams) per applicant (PDF 100 KB).

The Embassy declines any responsibility for the delivery of documents by mail.

Third party attendance at Passport and CRBA appointment interviews (click here)



The Social Security Administration (SSA) has consolidated its overseas operations into several regional offices that provide a full range of SSA services for U.S. citizens residing outside of the United States. Effective October 1, 2017, individuals residing in Belgium who require social security services or have questions about SSA benefits must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Dublin, Ireland rather than Brussels, Belgium.
Please, be advised that as of October 1, Brussels, Belgium can no longer accept telephone calls, emails, or walk-in consultations regarding Social Security issues.
For more information or any questions about the services provided at the FBU in Ireland and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at: You can also reach them at +353 1 668-8777 ext. 2112, or FBU.DUBLIN@SSA.GOV.
For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage, “Service Around the World.”
If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.

In order to transmit U.S. citizenship to a child born abroad, among other requirements, there must be a biological relationship between the child and a U.S. citizen parent or parents.  Genetic testing is a useful tool for verifying a stated biological relationship in the absence of sufficient other evidence to establish such relationship. Commonly tested relationships that may be used to establish paternity and/or maternity in citizenship claims arising from birth abroad to a U.S. citizen father or mother include father-child, mother-child, child and full brother or sister, child and half brother or sister, and avuncular relationships (child and paternal aunt/uncle/grandparent)., full. DNA testing is the only biological testing method currently accepted by the Department to establish a biological relationship. However, due to the expense, complexity, and logistical delays inherent in parentage testing, genetic testing generally should be used only in the absence of sufficient other evidence (documentation, photos, etc.) establishing the relationship.

For more information, please consult at: Policy on DNA testing