Eligibility for a CRBA

When a child is born to at least one U.S. citizen parent outside of the United States, U.S. law may confer citizenship on the child, depending on various factors.

Citizenship laws are complex, the most common cases are:

  • Birth Abroad to Two U.S. Citizen Parents in Wedlock
  • Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock
  • Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father
  • Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Mother

Please keep in mind that in order to apply for a Report of Birth Abroad the transmitting parent must be a U.S. Citizen before the child is born.

Most of these cases require the U.S. citizen parent to have spent a specific amount of time in the U.S. or, in some cases, time spent overseas working for the U.S. government and other organizations may count.  For specific information on each particular scenario, please visit the Legal Considerations section on the travel.state.gov website.