Passport Book Renewal (age 18 and older)
We encourage all adults renewing 10-year passport books to apply by mail or drop-off. Qualifying adult passport renewal applicants may pay the $130 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S.-based bank account, Amazon Pay, or Pay Pal. Please note that the online fee payment option is limited to U.S. citizens residing in Belgium and is currently available for passport book renewals only.
Eligibility Requirements for U.S. Citizen Adult Passport Renewals
In order to use the online payment system, you must answer YES to all of the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application;
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport book was issued;
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago;
- I have a U.S. Social Security Number;
- My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration;
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can provide documents for my name change by submitting marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application;) and
- I currently reside in and have a valid mailing address in Belgium.
- Please do not apply by mail if you have urgent travel within the next three weeks. In this case, make an appointment to submit your passport application in person at the U.S. Embassy.
- If you do not remember your U.S. Social Security Number, please email the Federal Benefits Unit before applying for the passport.
Instructions for DS-82 Processing by Mail and Online Fee Payment
Step 1: SIGN and complete the DS-82 Passport Renewal Form.
- Provide a Social Security number in #5.
- List your e-mail address in #6.
- List your telephone number in #7.
- List your Belgian mailing address in #8.
- List your emergency contact in #19 (optional but strongly recommended).
Step 2: Obtain one color U.S. size passport photo 2”x2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; no eyeglasses. View photo requirements. The photo booth in the consular waiting room is NOT available for applicants dropping off passports.
Step 3: Include your most recent U.S. passport (original). It will be cancelled and returned to you.
Step 4: Name change documents (if applicable) (original)
If you would like to change the name on your new passport due to marriage, divorce, or court order, please include proof of your name change. Documents must be original with English translation if applicable (ex. Marriage certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order)
Step 5: Pay the $130 passport renewal fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S.-based bank account, Amazon Pay, or Pay Pal.
Step 6: Print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email after successfully paying the fee and include it in the package you send to or drop off at the U.S. Embassy in Brussels, Belgium.
Step 7: If you prefer to have your new passport returned to you via registered mail, you must include a self-addressed envelope with one (1) registered (recommandé/aangetekend) stamp and three (3) “Prior” stamps for each application. Important: The Embassy declines any responsibility for the delivery of passports by registered mail. If you do not provide an envelope with the proper stamps, you will need to pick up your new passport at the Embassy once it has arrived.
Step 8: Mail your documents to (registered mail recommended) or drop them off at:
U.S. EMBASSY Brussels, Belgium
Attn: Consular Section – American Citizen Services
Regentlaan 25, Blvd du Régent, 1000 Brussels.
DROP-OFF HOURS (EXCEPT ON U.S. AND BELGIAN HOLIDAYS). NO APPOINTMENT REQUIRED:
Tuesday and Thursday: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Wednesday: 13:00 PM – 15:00 PM
Make sure to put your application package in a closed envelope before depositing it into the drop-box.
Important Security Announcement
Do not bring laptops as they are not allowed within the Embassy. We also strongly advise that you do not bring large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages to the consular section as there are no storage facilities on Embassy grounds.
Step 9: Passport processing takes approximately five weeks in addition to normal mail time between your home and Brussels. You can track your U.S. passport Application Status here.
Step 10: If you provided a self-addressed envelope with stamps at the time of the submission of your application, your new passport and old passport will be delivered to you via registered mail. If not, you can collect your passport/s at the Embassy.
PICK-UP HOURS (EXCEPT ON U.S. AND BELGIAN HOLIDAYS). NO APPOINTMENT REQUIRED:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM
Wednesday, Friday: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM