An official website of the United States government

Lost/Stolen Green card: Procedure in Brussels
January 1, 2022

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website provides information and directions necessary to apply for Permanent Resident Cards, also known as Alien Registration Receipt Cards (ARC), or ‘green cards’, including renewal or replacement such cards. A ‘green card’ is proof of one’s Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) status and is required for readmission to the United States.

Permanent residents, visiting or transiting Belgium, whose valid I-551 Alien Registration Receipt Card (green card) was lost or stolen, may apply at the Consular Section for a boarding foil, valid for one entry within 30 days of issuance, in order to re-enter the U.S.

To apply for a boarding foil, an appointment is required.  Please schedule your appointment here.


Please note that you must pay the filing fee online on the USCIS website  before appearing in person at a consular section.  Information on the I-131A form and fee is located here.  You must bring evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you appear in person, by appointment, to file Form I-131A.  As with all immigration fees, USCIS does not issue refundsregardless of the decision on the application.  You may find additional information on and instructions for the I-131A on the I-131A Form and Instructions page. ”

For more detailed information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a

Please submit at the appointment:

  • A valid passport
  • A completed form I-131 A ( https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-131a.pdf ) (386 KB)
  • Evidence of payment of the  I-131 A fee: the receipt/confirmation page from the USCIS online filing system, or your USCIS email receipt)
  • your alien registration number (A-number, also known as green card number, consisting of A-0 + eight digits)
  • a full-face color photograph, without glasses, 5 cm by 5 cm, with a white background, without glasses, taken within the last 6 months.
    (https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html ) Attention: this size is larger than the standard Belgian passport photo size.
  • Police report of stolen or lost permanent resident card
  • Evidence of last departure from the U.S. (for example airline (e-)ticket or boarding pass)

Please take into account that processing of a boarding foil application may take several business days.