May 15, 2020
U.S. Embassy Brussels, Belgium
International commercial flight options currently exist for U.S. citizens in Belgium via neighboring countries. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Belgium at this time. Please review our webpage, Information About COVID-19 and Travel to the United States, for further details. If you will stay in Belgium, Federal Public Service Interior has posted information relevant to U.S. citizens prevented from leaving on how to extend their stay. If you have or are considering leaving Belgium temporarily, FPS Interior has posted important information about Travel to Belgium during the temporary travel restrictions.
In accordance with U.S. and Belgian measures to control the spread of COVID-19, U.S. Embassy Brussels has suspended routine consular services. Emergency American Citizens Services will continue to be available, including for emergency passports. U.S. citizens requesting an emergency appointment must write to USCitizenBrussels@state.gov or call +32 (0)2 811 4000 (8am-10am M-F unless critically urgent). The embassy will continue to accept routine U.S. passport renewals by mail, however you should expect significant delays due to public health measures affecting passport printing facilities in the United States.
There are confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Belgium and the government has implemented measures to reduce the spread of the virus. The details of gradual de-confinement measures can be found on local government COVID-19 websites https://www.info-coronavirus.be/ and http://www.crisiscentrum.be/. The Embassy urges all U.S. citizens in Belgium to follow the instructions of local authorities.
Actions to take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Belgium.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy in Belgium, located at 27 Boulevard du Regent/Regentlaan, 1000 Brussels. Tel. +32-2-811-4000, 08:00 am – 06:00 pm Monday through Friday, except U.S. and Belgian holidays. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +32-2-811-4000; USCitizenBrussels@state.gov
- 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries;
- Belgium Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages;
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook