The US, Canadian and British Embassies to Belgium invite female Belgian high school students, aged 16 to 19, to enter a competition to be a Diplomat for a Day.
Diplomat for a Day activities
If you win the competition you will be invited to spend a day at the 3 Embassies located in Brussels, shadowing senior leaders and learning about the work of a diplomat. You will also be able to take part in a discussion with business and civil society on the importance of gender equality. The Embassies will cover travel and accommodation costs in Brussels.
Why you should enter this competition
Women and girls represent half of the world’s population and therefore also half of its potential. Today there are too few women in international diplomacy, including women from under-represented backgrounds, whether ethnic, religious, economic, cultural, or personal identity, among others. Women are not represented at parity in political and business sectors.
To end this underrepresentation, we must ensure equality of opportunity and equitable outcomes for everyone.
This is why we, Canada, the UK and the US, are working towards gender equality around the world. The Diplomat for a Day competition is a joint initiative by the 3 Embassies that aims to encourage young women and girls to become leaders and advocates for change, including through mentorship opportunities.
Who can enter
- You can enter this competition if, when you apply, you:
- Are a Belgian citizen, including a dual national and a Belgian resident
- Identify as a girl or woman
- Are enrolled in high school
- Are between the ages of 16 and 19 or turn 16 in 2023
You do not need to pay to enter this competition.
How to enter
To enter, you must answer the following question:
- Why do you think equal rights are important and what actions would you carry out, or have already carried out in order to achieve and/or promote equal rights?
Record or write your answer and either:
- Upload your video on www.wetransfer.com/upload. This should be a maximum of 2 minutes, filmed in landscape mode.
- Use email@example.com as recipient, or
- Email your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org. This should be a maximum of 300 words
You must also fill in the Diplomat for a Day 2023 application form and send it to email@example.com.
Your video or essay can be in Dutch, English, French or German. However, we encourage you to submit your video or essay in English, as communication during Diplomat For a Day will largely be in English.
Make sure you enter the competition in time:
- Competition opens: 8 January 2023
- Deadline for applications: EXTENDED TO 6 FEBRUARY 2023
- Competition winners contacted: TBA
- Competition winners announced: TBA
Apply for the competition by sending your completed Diplomat For A Day 2023 application form and your video or essay by 6 February 2023. You should also read the Diplomat For A Day 2023 terms and conditions before you enter.