The British, Canadian and US Embassies to Belgium invite Belgian women, aged 16 to 19, to enter a competition to be a Diplomat for a Day.
Diplomat for a Day activities
If you win the competition you will be invited to spend a day at the 3 Embassies located in Brussels, shadowing senior leaders and learning about the work of a diplomat. You will also be able to take part in a discussion with business and civil society on the importance of gender equality. The Embassies will cover travel and accommodation costs in Brussels.
Why you should enter this competition
Women and girls represent half of the world’s population and therefore also half of its potential. Today there are too few women in international diplomacy, including women from under-represented backgrounds, whether ethnic, religious, economic, cultural, or personal identity, among others. Women are not represented at parity in political and business sectors.
To end this underrepresentation, we must ensure equality of opportunity and equitable outcomes for everyone.
This is why we, Canada, the UK and the US, are working towards gender equality around the world. The Diplomat for a Day competition is a joint initiative by the 3 Embassies that aims to encourage young women and girls to become leaders and advocates for change, including through mentorship opportunities.
Who can enter
You can enter this competition if, when you apply, you:
- are a Belgian citizen, including a dual national
- identify as a girl or woman
- are between the ages of 16 to 19 years old
You do not need to pay to enter this competition.
How to enter
To enter, you must answer one of the following questions:
- what motivates you to become a diplomat?
- why do you think it’s important to advocate for women’s rights and/or equal rights?
- what positive change would you like to see in your community regarding women’s rights and equal rights, and how can you contribute to making that change happen?
- what more can governments and multilateral organisations do to promote women’s rights and/or equal rights?
Write or record your answer and either:
- email your essay to email@example.com. This should be a maximum of 350 words, or
- upload your video on www.wetransfer.com/upload. This should be a maximum of 2 minutes, filmed in landscape mode. Use firstname.lastname@example.org as the recipient
You must also fill in the email@example.com send it to
Your video or essay can be in Dutch, English, French or German. However, as communication during Diplomat for a Day will largely be in English, you will need to have a good level of English to be able to fully participate.
Make sure you enter the competition in time:
- competition opens: 8 January 2022
- deadline for applications: 8 February 2022
- competition winners contacted: 11 to 18 February 2022
- competition winners announced: 21 February 2022
Apply for the competition by sending your completedand your essay or video by 8 February 2022. You should also read the before you enter.