Event: The U.S. government remains concerned that terrorists are intent on targeting U.S. citizens, including children. Terrorists may employ a variety of tactics, such as violent assaults and kidnappings. In the past they have used knives, guns and vehicles as ramming devices. They may target schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, transportation hubs, and other public venues.
Actions to take:
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs.
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Report social media threats to local authorities.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Belgium, located at 27 Blvd du Regent, 1000.
+32 (2) 811 4000, 9:00am – 6:00pmMonday through Friday.
After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +32 (2) 811 4000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and country page.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.