Location: Central Station, Possibly Atomium Area, Brussels, Belgium
Event: A demonstration in opposition of Belgian government measures to contain the coronavirus is expected on Sunday, January 31, 2021, beginning at approximately 11:00 a.m. near Central Station in Brussels. It is possible that additional protests will take place near the Atomium in Brussels at the same time and date.
U.S. government personnel and U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. There will be a significant Belgian police presence throughout Brussels on Sunday to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy in Belgium, located at 27 Boulevard du Regent/Regentlaan, 1000 Brussels. Tel. +32-2-811-4000, 08:00 am – 06:00 pm Monday through Friday, except U.S. and Belgian holidays. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +32-2-811-4000; USCitizenBrussels@state.gov
- 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries;
- Belgium Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages;
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook